Guidelines For Being At Prema Yoga
A few things to note to enhance your practice of Yoga. We are glad you are on this journey and you are welcome to be here. Thank you! Please…
- Remove shoes at the door, we practice in our bare feet.
- Leave your mobile phone in your car or switch off.
- No heavy meals at least two hours before.
- Practice with an empty stomach is recommended (unless a specific condition prevents this).
- Keep water bottles off the floor. If needed, keep water on the stairs.
- Be early to class. Entering class constantly late is very disruptive and disrespectful to others. If you do arrive a few minutes late, take a breath, and quietly sit at the entrance until eyes are open and movement or talking has begun. At this point, unroll your mat and enter as slowly and quietly as you can.
- Bring your own mat, it’s more hygienic. We do have rental mats, however if you are serious about your yoga practice, please consider owning a yoga mat.
- Wear comfortable clothing to move.
- Ask questions about anything that is not clear to you. You may ask during class when appropriate or after class.
- Refrain from wearing perfume, cologne, or strong essential oils.
- If you have a health issue (illness, injury, or medical condition), please notify me (or the yoga teacher of the day) before the class. Not every pose is appropriate for everyone.
- Let go of the competitive mind-set. Yoga is non-competitive. It is not just a work-out, it is not just techniques for relaxation, and it is not just cross-training. It is a spiritual practice that makes the body & mind stronger, more flexible, and healthier. The purpose is to return to wholeness our True Nature.
- Be kind and loving to yourself by accepting where you are. It is okay to come out of a pose before the teacher says so. It is not a sign of failure. It is a sign of intelligence! Yoga is not “gutting it out” or “no pain, no gain”. To the contrary, the body will respond well when you shower it loving kindness and acceptance. Rest sometimes. Do what you can, with what you have, with where you are.
- No experience or flexibility is required to practice Yoga. Yoga is for everyone.
- Stay for the entire class. If you must leave before then advise before class starts.
- Finally, practice finishes with the mudra (gesture) and saying “Aum Shanti”. This means: Peace be with you, Peace is you.